Turn your yard into an elegant English garden using tomato cages, spray paint and pliers!
- 1 or more metal tomato cages
- 1 can metallic or choice of exterior high grade spray paint
- Heavy duty pliers/snips
- gloves to protect hands when bending tomato cage wire
- Using gloves and snips, clip off the smallest ring of the tomato cage and the bottom largest ring. Make sure to leave the side lengths as this will be the base/scroll.
- After this, you should be left with the middle ring and the 3 length pieces. Use the snips/pliers again to clip the ring portion so that the circular shape can be straightened on a flat surface.
- Use your pliers to then twist the 3 top length wires into a scroll pattern (see picture).
- The bottom 3 lengths of the wire are used to anchor the border into the ground.
- The two side portions that were part of the circle can be used to connect to other sections to make a long border or snipped off.
- Spray with high grade spray paint, metallic gold shows up nicely.
- After dry, install in your garden area as a border or even mold it into a circular shape for borders around pots.
You can customize this project in numerous ways by adding beads to the scrolls or you can use a "Greek key" pattern, squiggles, waves, etc.